Happy Nawnie updates in your email!

Subscribe

* indicates required

Saturday, June 11, 2022

 

MOHICAN STATE PARK & LANDOLL’S MOHICAN CASTLE — Loudonville, Ohio

If you ever visit Mohican State Park in Ohio, and you are camping, I suggest staying at Mohican Adventures Campground with full hookup along the woods sites #208 - #226. The sites were very spacious with lots of privacy! The bathhouse if very updated with all in one (shower, toilet, sink) private rooms. You do not need to pay for the showers and it is constant warm water. I HATE pushing a button every 3 seconds for my warm shower water. Ain’t nobody got time for that!!

Mohican State Park isn’t very large but the hiking trails it has to offer are very well maintained pretty.

See that little dude over there on the left. He is actually 6”1’ and a bit over 200 pounds (we won’t go into details). He is behind Lyons Falls in Mohican State Park. The water comes down pretty hard when it is falling from that height. I had an urge to just start showering, but that could have been seen by certain people as my BIG SIN #2 and I could have been arrested for public nudity. That isn’t something I wanted in the newspapers. I also had the thought that my current employment might not appreciate my “oneness with nature”. (Shout out to my Staff fam ~ love you all and my job so much I didn’t do it)

Jim and I decided to go out for dinner so I found a place on the map that looked interesting. I knew it was a real place from a brochure I had picked up. It had a beautiful picture on it, but all Jim saw was the spot on Google maps.

The dirt roads kept getting narrower and the single wide mobile homes older and unkept as we followed the signs saying “Castle” with an arrows guiding the way. I wish you could have heard Jim say, “ This is a trick. We are going to get there, and get mugged!” I laughed because I had saw how gorgeous this place is and he had no idea. Hehehe

Well, he was pleasantly surprised. What a paradise!

We started with dinner at the Copper Mug. Arriving at 4pm, we were only the 3rd or 4th person there so we got to pick our seat. We decided to sit outside on the fantastic deck overlooking the manicured and carefully landscaped grounds. It was perfect! Jim and I had the whole deck to ourselves. It was really romantic with the perfect temperature, scenery, amazing food, refreshing drinks, and of course, the company was my favorite. ;)

After that great experience, we walked around for a little bit. We went into the main lobby area to get more information.

Landoll’s Mohican Castle is a resort and restaurant. It was built one room at a time with no plans or blueprints by Jim Landoll. 

Let me just say, THIS IS MY KIND OF GUY! This is how I usually function with “plans” all in my head. Jim = TOTOAL OPPOSITE. He needs to measure, draw out plans on paper, then draw them out on computer, then figure how long you cut each board to make the most use out of each piece of wood. He spends as much time planning as he does building the item. I’m not knocking it. It is good. I just don’t have the patience...I think I get way too bored way too quickly. Even as I write about this, my brain is saying to me, “blah, blah, blah” about my own writing about this subject.

Back to this amazing place. Overnight quests can choose to stay in one of the 11 castle suites or in one of the 4 stable suites. You could also choose to rent one of the two cottages on the property for a larger group. 

There are wedding packages including a wedding terrace. While there you can enjoy renting ski equipment in the Winter, and usage of the pavilion, gardens, the indoor heated pool, and take a walk through an old cemetery that dates back to the 1800s.

If you aren’t staying and visiting, there is an entry that you can go into and take the stairs to the top. It is perfect for short people who don’t mind heights. I got one out of two going for me! Jim had to duck to get through the door that went out to the balcony, but look at the view from the top. INCREDIBLE! 

Jim and I decided we need to go back and stay in the castle sometime. I’ll let you know what it’s like when we do. :)



To learn more about the history of this place, visit landollsmohicancastle.com/history/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CAMPING in TURKEY RUN STATE PARK —  Marshall, Indiana The campground at Turkey Run State Park is pretty nice. Especially if you don't ca...